RE: ShopLightPreferenceRequest

>JoelB and everyone else too!
>Which shop lights do you prefer ... incandescent or flourescent ...
>for ceiling hanging and for in-around-under vehicle?
>Mark

LOTS of 4' 2 tube shop lights($10.00 at discount houses). I had 10 fixtures
covering my old 25' x 25' workspace, and I consider that minimum lighting
for doing real work. That works out to 1.28 watts/square foot, and I am
working toward that # in my new 24' x 48' shop. Mount a few of them
directly over your benches in a place so you don't cast a shadow onto the
bench as you work. A couple of cheap articulated arm desk lamps(one on each
workbench) are handy for peering inside stuff on the bench without having
to fing a working flashlight, and if you can score one of the more
industrial units with a magnifying lense in the middle that's real gravy. I
have one with a magnifier and one with a fan(think solder fumes). For local
lighting, I haven't found anything that beats a ceiling mounted drop light
with spring loaded reel. Sears actually has a pretty nice one that's
cheap(realatively). Be sure to splurge  for a real drop light bulb,
otherwise you'll be changing bulbs every time you drop the dang thing.

Oh yeah, like somebody said...paint the walls and ceiling bright white, it
makes a huge difference. Painting the floor a light color(ever see a pic of
the Penske race shops?) helps a bunch, too, but I'm not that hi-tech yet
;). Just a second generation CA okie at heart...

Jim