Re: Starter Problems

For Luke and Tom Both
I went through this about 3 years ago.  First Luke, get another battery!
After I rebuilt my 6 month old starter (because I was convinced that was the
only possible answer) I still had the same problem.  The battery I had started
my car just fine but did NOT have the poop to turn a 345.  I fought this
problem for about 4 months before I finally broke down and bought a deep cycle
RV battery and have not had a problem since.  If you can get a hold of one to
*try* then do and see BEFORE you pull the starter and fix it, cause I don't
bet thats the problem.  Most starters will symptomatically break down (like
the solenoid not kicking out before they go completely dead).

Now Tom, do you hear a sound like someone is ringing a bell when your starter
doesn't connect, if so check the teeth on the flywheel very carefully.  If one
tooth is just slightly chipped the starter can miss just enough to cause the
problem you are describing.  Also check the teeth on the starter for the same
kind of break, either way if they happen to line up just right the starter
will miss.

Brian '65 D1200 4X4 345 4bbl, 4.11 the "Taxi"