Re: ihc-digest V5 #210

>SO!!!!  could this be the starter?  I haven't tried to jump it cause it is
>getting power and it is really hard to get too.  On hindsight I have had
>problems like what Tom has described.  the past week or so it has
>sometimes not started and I try again and it will start.
>
>It is like the starter just can't get enough power.
>
>Anyway, thanks for any info that can be provided (I think I am going to
>try to jump the starter tommorrow)
>
>Luke

Luke,
Unless you have a bad cable or connection every symptom you describe
sounds like the starter is shorting out. When the bushings or bearings
get worn, the commutator drags on the field coils and the starter sucks
up enormous amps without being able to turn. Bet ya, if you gave us all
the facts, thats where you are. If that is the case, the starter is
repairable but you may not want to bother with the time and little bit of
money you'd save over a rebuilt. On the other hand, you don't always get
a good rebuilt either.
One other comment about cables and connections. If you have a bad
connection, the current draw goes way up, not down. Lots of people think
that if the connection is bad not so much current can go through. On the
contrary, if the connection is bad a lot of heat is generated and making
that heat uses a lot of current.
John

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"