Starters

With this talk of starters..

I replaced the starter and solenoid on my '77 last summer and it's acting
up again..

Every now and then, I turn the key, and the starter just gives me a
horrible grinding sound.. Reminds me of when someone accidentally hits
the starter while the truck is running.

Try it again, works fine.

Am I right in guess the starter is not engaging the flywheel when this
happens (truck doesn't move at all)?  What would make this happen?  It's
just a 196 with the stock manifolds, not headers.

Is it just crud gumming things up?  Do Need to clean the starter at all?

-Tom