Rocker Arms

Engine Guru's (Epp?),
My 345 was making a real loud tick on the even cylinders, so I decided
to take the lifters out and clean them.  When I got the rocker arm
assembly off, I noticed that the notch in the shaft (that the rocker
arms are on) was on the bottom.  In looking at my service manual
numerous times, it says that the notch should be to the top.  I don't
think this engine has been apart before but obviously something is
amiss.  I was wondering if the shaft being in the wrong orientation
could cause the tick that I have been getting.  I am also wondering how
to get the rocker arms off the shaft, I looked and didn't see any snap
ring.  I haven't pulled the odd side cylinders yet, so I can't look to
compare which is correct.
Also, if anybody has any advice-instructions on how this all goes back
together other than what's in the manual I would appreciate it. I am
really concerned about how the lifters go back together and how to
"prime" them.

TIA
Mark

'75 345, auto (which still doesn't shift right), 3.54's