Re: Solo brake bleeding

  Probably the best , cheapest, and easiest method that has been
mentioned is the hose-in-the-jar method.  The jar can be found under the
kitchen sink and even if you have to make a trip to the hardware store
for a piece of hose, it won't cost much.  The fluid in the jar doesn't
get sucked back in, but it prevents air from being drawn back in.  When
the pedal is released, fluid is drawn into the cavity ahead of the piston
in the master cylinder.

Another method I have used is simply to open the bleeders and let the
fluid push the air out by gravity.  This usually takes awhile, and I
usually get an assistant to hold the pedal down for the final bleeding. I
have also used the 2 x 4 method to hold the pedal down while I crawled
under and opened the bleeder screw myself. I have done this on school
buses that have a mile or two of brake lines, with good results.

Someone (John H ? ) pointed out correctly that you should start out from
the farthest wheel cylinder from the master cylinder, and work your way
to the closest.

Epp,

      For the air over hydraulic set-up.  It sounds like a good deal for
the guys who have on-board air compressors, --just leave the air hooked
up and you will have air brakes!!! <G> this may be the answer to the rare
800 brake booster!!!  <BG>

Eldon McFarling
Ceresco, NE
'80 Scout II Turbo Diesel
Eldon_McF@domain.elided
IH SCOUT DIESEL PAGE    http://members.aol.com/EldonMcf/scoutd.html

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]