Tom's sugar

Since you havn't tried to pump it, I would agree with Epp and simply drain
the tank, drop it and clean it good. Even if it's mud, or something else
you may as well clean the tank and the gas may be suspect anyway due to
condensate, age, etc. Most radiator shops will dip it for you to be sure it
is good and clean, some will even seal it for you too. I don't think sugar
disolves well in gasoline so granulated stuff will just be a mechanical
clog, I hear a coke is the way to go to get sugar past the filters and into
the engine. If you get it analyzed and it is sugar, and you can reasonably
prove that it wasn't there before, it would seem to further fuel your court
proceedings.

Good luck

Terry  Rust
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power."  -Abraham Lincon