PS on mid 60's trucks and stuff

     Mike Bucher <mbucher@domain.elided> wrote:

     >Subject: PS on mid 60's trucks

     *Snip*
     >>I'd take a real close look at F$%* pickups from the late
60's/early
     >>70's as I believe they used non-integral PS 'til '73 or so.
     >I have this type steering on my 68 T'all 1200B.  My question to
     >others is how tight can you get the steering?  I have a lot of
play,
     >somewhere around 1/8 turn (maybe less) before the wheels respond.

     >The control valve doesn't start sending fluid quick enough.
Priced a
     >rebuild kit for the valve assembly ($158).  Been wondering how
much
     >it will improve.  Been driving it for 15 years this way.

     >Mike - I use all of the road

     My 67 1200B has this type of power steering, and while my steering
     wheel doesn't quite have an 1/8 turn of play in it, it is close to
     that much.  Mine drives down the road tracking pretty well, but
some
     input is required to keep it going down the straight and narrow.  I

     use a good portion of the road, which for some reason causes me to
     start humming "Green Acres is the place to be...." ;)

     The rebuild kit price is a tad scary, but after inspecting all that
is
     involved with this type of steering, it may be justified.  I
thought
     that a good number of busses and larger trucks had this type of
power
     steering.  I was kinda counting on these larger trucks for parts
     donors when things start to wear out.  But after 30 years (only 67K

     miles though) nothing is leaking and it still works well.

     I have question regarding exhaust.  Since I need to replace one of
my
     exhaust manifolds on my 345, I was wondering if the addition of
     headers on such a low rpm engine was worth the trouble.  If I can
get
     a noticeable improvement in performance I may go this route, rather

     than the factory exhaust manifold.  The truck has dual exhaust that

     has glasspacks and exits just behind the cab. (The 42 gallon gas
tank
     mounted between the frame rails in the back of the truck keeps it
from
     being routed clear out the back)  I still think that I can get this

     elephant into double digit gas mileage. "I think I can, I think I
can,
     I think I can."  I've been reading to my niece too much.....

     Jeff