Re: Rebuilt Alternators

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Thomas J. Harais wrote:

> But, that is why I write. What do you do about alternators? My NAPA
> rebuilt on my Honda went out after two years. Facing another all day
> project to replace it, I called every supplier, dealer and jobber I
> knew. NO ONE had new alternators. Even the Honda dealers told me they
> used rebuilts and that new alternators were impossible to come by.
>
> So, do you have any suggestions for my future reference?

Well, since you asked.. :)  Roll the rice burner over the nearest cliff,
and buy another IH, or at least something old and American that's easy
to work on.

Seriously, were I in your situation, I'd check with a few local
mechanics and see if they'll tell you what local auto electric rebuild
shop does the best quality stuff.  Failing that, check the Yellow Pages
under "Auto Electric" for a local shop that rebuilds their own stuff in
house.  Look for a shop that does a lot of heavy equipment & commercial
vehicle work, instead of specializing in passenger cars, as they may
maintain a higher quality standard.

Daniel Youngquist / dany@domain.elided / 541-688-9263 // VISA & MasterCard
*HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS                    http://www.teleport.com/~dany/mill
 Grain mills, water filters, quality simple-lifestyle & outdoors products
*INTERNET MEMORY EXCHANGE  Computer Memory  http://www.teleport.com/~dany
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is
 the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt, 1783