800's Drum Brakes

OK 800 owners, I need some help,

I have the original 10X2 drums on my 68 800.  Recently one of the fingers
(or whatever you call the things that are between the cylinder and the shoe)
got tilted at about a 45 degree angle from it's normal position.  It wore
the shoe out in less than 7,000 miles.  It also ate my drum because I didn't
even think to look at it because the shoes were new.

My question, is there not a bar or something that goes under the wheel
cylinder to prevent this from happening?  Neither of my 800's had anything.
It looks like there should be one and there is one on the rear. Was this a
design flaw and there is some part I need to add.  Please help, I just had
to spend $150 to repair the damage on this one wheel.  I would prefer not to
do this again.

Also, I have a great deal on another 800B, but it has the inline six w/ a
bad tranny.   I would like to put the International 304 and 3spd out of my
parts truck into it.  Other than the motor mounts what else is there.  The
body on the parts truck is gone and this one has a decent body, would it
just be easier to switch bodies?

Thanks in advance
Mitch

68 800 266/4spd/30/44 w/3 inch lift and 32/11.50 MT
69 800B parts
(maybe another 69 800B by the end of this week)
78 SSII currently under frame off resto