carb tuning

Ok, I have a question for the carb gurus.  I just rebuilt my Holley 2210C
and put it back on.  The Scout fired right up after sitting for four
weeks in less than 10 degree weather (I had removed the battery and
stabilized the gas).  The problem I have now is with tuning.  It is
running very high rpms, so high that I do not want to let it run long
enough to take a tach or vacuum reading for fear that I will damage the
engine.  I have adjusted the curb idle and the fast idle to no avail -
what is left to look at?

What I am thinking:

Idle mixture screws are too rich.  I started them at 1 and 1/4 turns out
as per the rebuild instructions.

I bumped the distributer when I removed the vacuum advance hose.  Could an
advanced timing problem cause this?

Maybe the accelerator pump discharge nozzle is letting fuel by. I have a
new one from Holley that I have not put in yet, but the used one I put in
looked pretty good.

The float is improperly set.

Maybe everything is just so clean that it is finally working properly?  I
know the jets are spec size so I don't think it has been modified to run
in poor condition.

On a related question...My dashpot has the vacuum hoses connected, but the
wires are cut.  Is it worth replacing them, and could there be a vacuum
leak if the hoses are connected but not the wires?

I know that I just have to get out there are fool around with stuff, but
it is just too damn cold to spend a couple after-work dark hours under the
hood, and I am really worried about damaging the engine by overrevving it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Wisser

p.s.  I just proposed to my girlfriend partly because she has been so
supportive through this Scout fanaticism of mine.  For the last four weeks
we have been living with one car and she has not complained once.
Now if I can just convince her she needs her own Scout....