Water pumps revisited,

Darrel,

     Very dangerous to mess with the locating pin, or the spacer.
If the spacer is not dead on flat with the pump pace, the fan blade
will be out of balance, and you'll need another pump very soon.  Also,
if the locating pin is a little as 1/32 off/crooked the blade will be
rotating out-of-plane and will cause a vibration that will also destroy
a water pump.  The most damaging event for a water pump, is a sudden
acceleration or deceleration of the engine, this causes a transmission of
force from the belt to the water pump impeller and shortens the life.  I've seen
snapped shafts, and eccentric shafts from this.  I hope when you say you
'enlarged the hole in the spacer' that you used a conic tool.  If it was a drum
check the center and make sure that there is no wobble on a slow idle.  You can
use a timing light on the blades also, it may help.

     Also the clutch fan is very difficult to find as I think that there are no
more 'new' manufactured clutches.  I ended up turning my clutch into a rigid
mounting.  The rigid fan and clutch fans require two different water pumps, and
I'm not sure if you can find a clutch fan that will bolt on the IH rigid pump
that will not put the fan blades into the rad.

     There would be no noticable inprovement in fuel economy with e clutched fan
than a rigid one.  The engine temps are not appreciable unless you are changing
the temp greatly during the day.  What kind of outside temp change is it?  20 at
night to 100 during the day?  Usually you can change the thermostat cheaper than
a clutch.

Good luck,

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.