Pickup axles under Scout

Hi all,

Well I just got back from picking up a couple axles from a '76 Chevy 3/4
ton pickup to put under my Scout.  They were advertised in the paper
this morning at a price I just couldn't pass up, so I guess I've made my
decision on how I'm gonna lift the Scout. :)  The front is a Dana 44,
which of course has the spring pad built into the top of the diff
housing, instead of the bottom, which is why I originally thought of
this idea.  I was surprised to see a 44 on a 3/4 ton pickup.  It needs
spider gears, which the guy pulverized by using 38" tires.  The rear is
a GM 14-bolt, which the guy said he was told is a 1-ton axle.  It has
full floating axles and BIG brake drums.

I took some measurements and found that the front axle will stick out 5"
farther than stock on each side, and the rear 3".  That's more than I'd
like on the front, but I may decide to get wheels with an inch or so
more (less?) backspacing than normal.  The front spring pads are only
3/4" farther apart than the Scout's, on center, so it should fit with
no or minimal modification.

In case anyone is wondering WHY, or is about to send over the guys in
the white coats (don't worry, my wife will handle that when she decides
it's necessary :) ), the idea here is to lift the Scout enough to get
33" tires and decent ground clearance, but keep it from tipping over on
corners.  I get a little nervous thinking about all that diesel engine,
tranny & T-case weight sitting way up there in the air.

After all the work and $$$ I'll have in it by the time I'm done, my
Scout better be the mother of all tough 4x4's, or at least my wife
better think so or I'll never hear the end of it! :)

Daniel Youngquist / dany@domain.elided / 541-688-9263 // VISA & MasterCard
*HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS                    http://www.teleport.com/~dany/mill
 Grain mills, water filters, quality simple-lifestyle & outdoors products
*INTERNET MEMORY EXCHANGE  Computer Memory  http://www.teleport.com/~dany
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is
 the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt, 1783