Re: T-case noise, Part II

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, DurangoMan wrote:

> 	Thanks to all who answered my first T-case question.  I
> rattled the holy living hell out of the front driveshaft; the slip
> yolk had a tiny bit a lateral play (no torsional play, tho), and the
> u-joint behind the front dif had a small amount as well.  Both were on
> the order of 1-2 mm.  Is this enough play to cause nasty noises?  I
> checked the fluid level, and it looked good (it started to run out as
> soon as I pulled the check plug), and all the mounting bolts are good
> and tight.  The t-case was (supposedly) rebuilt about a year and 9k
> miles ago.

This is 2 days old, but doesn't look like there's been a response yet,
unless I missed it.  I don't remember what noise you're looking for.
With that much play in a U-joint I'd expect a noticeable TINK sort of
sound when you get on or off the gas.  Don't know what sound the slip
yoke would make.

1-2mm play in a U-joint means it's completely shot.  (ANY play,
actually.)  Remember those little guys are probably between 1 & 2 mm.
In other words, you should probably change it before you use 4WD again.
It would probably hold together for quite a while, but for the cost of a
U-joint, you don't want to risk your driveshaft falling off and
launching you over a cliff.

Daniel Youngquist / dany@domain.elided / 541-688-9263 // VISA & MasterCard
*HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS                    http://www.teleport.com/~dany/mill
 Grain mills, water filters, quality simple-lifestyle & outdoors products
*INTERNET MEMORY EXCHANGE  Computer Memory  http://www.teleport.com/~dany
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is
 the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt, 1783