Re: Posi or not?

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:12:21 -0500 Mike Marentette
<mmarentette@domain.elided> writes:
>Hi all,
>
>I've got a 74 Travelall 100 with the towing package.  It has a Dana 60
>rear axle with the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern.  I've been wondering if it has
>or had posi at one time.  So I recently jacked the rear up to see if
>both rear tires would spin the same way.  They did not.  I would spin
>one tire and the other would stay stationary.  I'm puzzled.  My friend
>says it's an open differential.  My experience with open differentials
>is that if you spin one tire forward, the other would spin backwards,
>not stay stationary.  I guess what I'm wondering is if it could be a
>posi with the clutches burned up and no longer operational?  I could
>pull the cover off and see for sure, but I want to see what input some
>of you could give me before doing so.  I haven't checked the line
>setting ticket because I would still be clueless.  Any comments are
>greatly appreciated.

Only the lineset can say for sure what it had, but if you can't feel any
resistance between the wheels, it likely was an open diff.  If you had
the transmission in neutral when you spun the wheel, it's just as likely
that the driveline turned instead of the other wheel turning backwards.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]