Power shifter

Dan,
	Yeah, your right on both counts.  What we're refering to would be
better described as "clutchless shifting".  Power shifting is when you
hammer the shifter with your gas matted just when you kick the clutch to
the floor.  Tough on clutches and main shafts in the trannies.  My buddy
had a Mustang Gt like you describe, blew three trannies and two clutches,
he used to go to the drags and try to keep up with the street stocks with a
nearly bone stock rat.  With clutchless shifting, it can wear on the
synchos, depends on how close your timing is.  My Terra slides up and down
through the gears as long as I make the right call on the RPM range, she
argues if I miss it.  My first Yota's tranny was a little sloppy after 140K,
 but could only get 3rd, 4th, and 5th out of her without the clutch.  The
new Yota, forget it, can barely make it into fifth.  I think its highly
dependant on the transmissions design.  The T19s and T18s have pretty big
diameter gears, five or six inches.  Equally, the synchros are the same
size.  The size of the brass (I think) synchro is what helps it slip
(actually grab) the gear. Does that make sense?  Actually, now that I think
about it, the synchros dont do anything with the clutch engaged (foot off).
 The input shaft is spinning at engine speed, the output at wheel speed.
The synchros aren't going to slip the clutch or chirp the tires.  The only
thing that needs to happen is for the synchro to slip (turn) a half a tooth
at most to line up with main gear.
 Enough rambling,
Layda,
Tark '77 Terra 345/T19/D20