Re: IHC 5-speeds

> > Does anyone know if it's possible to find parts for IHC 5-speed
> > (overdrive) trannys.
>
> I believe Allan W. is in charge of 5 speeds :), if I remember he said
> chicago rawhide sell rebuild kits for all of them except mine, the
> 436(?).

Well, I don't know about in charge, but here's some info:
The Chicago Rawhide kit is a seal and bearing kit, and the
number is TK-156.  They list some type of cross to an
'FM Kit No. T-156'.  I think this is another vendor maybe.  They
don't list a Basic Rebuilder kit for any IHC trannys.  This kit lists
the T33, T34, T35, T494, T495, and T-496.  I'm pretty sure the
T-496 is the newer number for the T-436, which is newer than the
T-36.  If you have a parts manual, e-mail me some bearing and
seal P/Ns and I'll compare them to the T-34/35/36 so we can
confirm the kit will have the right bearings and seals. Check
prices through your local bearing houses.

Active Gear in Seattle has some parts, checkout
http://www.activegear.com/ and click on price list.  You really
either need the parts manual here (they list IHC P/Ns,
no description) or if you call them, they should be able to help.

I think many of the parts can still be had from the nearest
Navistar dealer.

Lastly, Eldon McFarling seemed to think you could even still
get the parts to convert a non-overdrive 5 speed to an overdrive
I'm not sure what his parts source was--IH/Navistar dealer or
some specialty tranny shop.  There are very few differences.
Maybe Eldon will chime in here?

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup