U-joint strength, Tranny removal

> I've heard claims (either the offroad digest or jeeptech), that the
u-joints
>without zerk fittings are stronger. I guess it makes sense - it's an extra
>hole drilled into the body of the u-jount. I've also had situations where
>the zerk fitting would bind, where a non-zerk u-joint would have been OK.
Curt:
  I've read this too.  In one 4x mag they suggested to always install the
joint so that when driving forward the part with the zerk is in
compression, i.e. the engine torque is pushing the caps on either side
together.  I'm not a mechnical engineer, but from the one strength of
materials class I had, I can believe this would buy you a little.  The
NAPA Super Strength joints have a mini fitting in the end of one of the
caps, and you need a needle adaptor for the grease gun.  But they
don't have any holes tapped into the cross for a zerk to weaken
them or limit movement.  Tom R. posted that he had a problem with
these small fittings plugging, I guess I'll find out for  myself.

Joel:
  I don't know if the Napa joints have a lifetime warranty, I didn't ask.
But I know plenty of folks that replace their 'lifetime' rebuilt starters,
and alternators about once a year.  I personally think many of those
lifetime warranties items are crap, they just bank on the fact that you
will probably sell the vehicle and the new owner won't have the
paperwork, or you will get tired of changing it out so often because
it is crap.  I'll take top quality items, even if they only have a
one or two year warranty.

For tranny removal, you should just pull the torque converter with it.
Just rotate the flex plate and remove the four bolts.  Make a paint
mark, as they usually will fit back only one way.  This way you only
have to move it back about 1" and then drop it down, and also
when you put it back in you can make sure the converter is engaged
on the pump tangs properly.  If they are not and things don't go
together easy, you could burn up the pump in short order.  Also
you can jack under the pan with some 3/4" plywood, and the 727 is
HEAVY, I'd suggest securing it to the jack if you are going
to use a floorjack (I do too).

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup