Re: ihc-digest V5 #161 Air conditioning

Tom Harias,

I have a 77/79 with factory A/C.  Works great will freeze your whatever.

When you install your a/c you can convert to R-134a.  It turns out to not
be so bad.  You have to change oil in the system.  Most a/c shops can do
it.  There are also some drop in replacements for R-12.  If anyone is
interested I can post the mfr.

The drop in replacements have one drawback.  They are a mixture of gasses
(not chemically combined, just mechanically mixed).  When they leak out
they don't leak at the same rate since the molecular weight of the gasses
are different.  So you can't add more when they leak. The mixture ratio is
off and at some point it stops working.  You have to drain and refil.  It
is compatible with seals, oil, etc.  So it is a low hassle change.

I may try this on my Scout when my stash of R-12 is gone.  I still have
35 lbs to feed my Aerostar and Scout.  Incentive to fix those leaks.

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "'Necessity' is the plea for every
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/   infringement of human freedom.  It is the
   _/        _/ _/   _/         argument of tyrants; it is the creed of
 _/    _/ _/    _/ _/    _/          William Pitt, 1783