Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 14:00:59 -0800
From: "Thomas J. Harais" <tharais@domain.elided>
Subject: A/C in a Scout II

O.K. Digesters;

I have a question.

My '76 Terra was originally equipped with the factory air. The owner I
purchased it from, had taken out the under dash unit, the A/C hoses and
the compressor and thrown them out when the unit failed. I still have
the compressor bracket and the firewall holes (since covered in rubber)
for the lines.

Now, I know everyones been following Tom and his conversion to an air
compressor, ignoring the benefits of an A/C unit. But, Tom lives in
Montana and I live in California. From June through mid-October where I
live, most tempertures are 90 are better and there are a fair number of
100 plus degree days. So, I'd like to get an A/C.

What experiences do digesters have with this? Should I look for one from
an IH light truck line product? With the Freon 12 issue, perhaps an
aftermarket R-134 would be the better choice? Could I even find a
potentially functional IH unit?

Thoughts please,

Tom Harais
'76 Terra 304/727/20