Thoughts...

Ok, here it goes...

1/  A rollbar in my first scout saved my life after an encounter with a
telephone pole.  I will never drive a convertible scout without one.  In
fact, I would push that to say I will never drive ANY convertible without
one.

2/  That CLUNK you sometimes hear from the front end, if everything else
has been repaired, seems to be the springs slipping slightly during turning
or when hitting curbs, etc.  It's a fact of life with our leaf-sprung front
ends.  The only cure, I suppose, would be to make sure you torque your
front u-bolts regularily as well as checking your spring clamps from time
to time for tightness-etc. After seeing how benign it really is, I don't
really notice it anymore...

3/  Technically, the fuel mileage from an IH light line product is pretty
bad compared to, let's say, a GEO, but there's more to life than how much
gas you put into the tank.  When I changed jobs and went into outside sales
for a heavy truck manufacturer,  I contemplated buying a new truck.  I
figured the old binder would rob me blind when it came to fuel (remember,
I'm up in Canada, eh, paying 55 cents/litre..).  After doing some research
and checked out the pricing on new SUV's these days, I began to wonder if I
was really doing myself a favour...
    A new SUV would easily cost 30,000 bucks to start.  Don't forget good
ole' Canadian taxes (15 percent in total in Ontario).  Payments over 4
years are at Least 450 bucks/month.  Add 8 percent interest charges, of
course...Insurance, forget it...new vehicle premiums were around 150 a
month for myself.  I'm already up to 600 a month, and I haven't put any
fuel in her, yet! Figure in the mountainous drop in market value over that
4 years, and WHEW...no wonder my binderless friends have no cash...here's
why...

MY current scout II (1979, 304, modest lift and mods) I purchased  after my
first one was written off for $2500.  Regular maintenance I estimate at
about $150/month,  which I set very much like a PAC rate allowing lots of
room for error and emergencies, as well as minor improvements and such.
This sets me approximately at 250 dollars/month for the last two years, in
which time I have managed to bolt in new springs and shocks, new tires, new
ignition and steering components, as well as a dozen other small projects.
If I took my to-date cost of 250/month and added the 250 I spend in gas
(average, monthly) I'm at 500 bucks.  Add the minute sting of 46
bucks/month for full coverage insurance, the bottom line is $546/month to
own/operate/repair.  My binderless friends are EASILY spending hundreds
more each month, making my ole' binder worth running in this day and age.
I haven't had any real problems in months, but I keep a separate bank
account where I religiously place my alloted 150 for maintenance into, so
lately my numbers have been REALLY low (less than 30 bucks a month over my
initial cost and gas)

This monthly number decreases slowly as the original purchase date fades
into distant memory...

Obviously, I kept the scout for working purposes...If I was a student with
no income, the gas thing would probably hurt alot more, but I honestly feel
that getting a smaller vehicle would not help the bottom line very much.
Small cars are harder to fix, wear out quicker, and parts are WAY more
expensive (especially imports)  Plus, the Scout tows whatever I put behind
it, and has repaid for itself many times over in the abstract sense simply
from the amount of work it has accomplished carrying tonnes of stuff
around.  Lastly, my customers think its amazing (hint..I don't even sell
Navistar trucks..) driving around in a "classic" and has honestly brought
me more business opportunities...

4/  Riel  at BEACH MARINE in Hamilton Ontario would be happy to quote
anyone on custom fibreglass Scout parts, including custom traveller tops
with the tailgate modification (two piece instead of one piece).  He makes
most of the stuff himself (he has over 50 Scouts at his farm) and the
quality he puts out is, in my opinion, unparalleled.  His body panels cost
more than other types, but they are hand-laid and much, MUCH stronger than
anything I have ever seen from the U.S. companies.  They also fit MUCH
better, and are easier to install.  Call him at 905-545-4745....