spring eye bushing removal

>I beleive it is called the eye bushing, ANYWAY. It won't come out!! one hour
>later and a couple of bloody knuckles they have not even budged. Do I need to
>go get a torch and melt the damn things out?  What have you guys done to get
>those things out? I even tried just pounding on the metal sleeve insert and it
>would not move! (yes, I have been soaking them)

Jeremy,

I tried a few of the methods mentioned here on the digest and didn't have
any success. Short of a torch, what I found worked was to take a drill and
drill out as much of the rubber portion of the bushing as possible. Then I
was able to remove the inner steel lining. Then it required a sawzall to
cut through the outer steel portion of the bushing and then peeling it out
of the eye with a cold chisel. The poly bushings will not fit if you leave
the outer casing in. Not a real fast process but the improvement in ride
and handling made it very worthwhile. 25 year old bushings don't come out
easily! No bloody knuckles, but one very fat lip (use you channel locks to
hold the cold chisel TIGHTLY).

Chris