Steering Problem?

My Scout II wanders a bit on the road (I know, I know, Scouts wander).
I checked out the suspension and wheels over the weekend and everything
seemed tight except one worn bushing on the driver's side front leaf
spring.  I'll replace it.

Then, with the engine off, I had someone turn the steering wheel back
and forth a few times while I looked at the suspension, etc.  I noticed
that the steering unit (at the frame) would sway in one direction and
then another as the wheels were turned.  The unit wasn't loose, and I
didn't see any cracks on the frame.  Is this motion normal?  If not, is
it a serious safety problem?

Thanks in advance for IHC wisdom,

-Mike Naughton
'77 Scout II, 345 V8, 727, totally stock.