Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 10:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Farmer <ken.farmer@domain.elided>
To: ihc <ihc@domain.elided>
Subject: Installed a Delco HEI

Well, I finally got around to putting the Delco HEI distributor
in my Travelall.  The only work that had to be done was in trying
to get the Delco distributor to fit into the IH engine.  The space
was very tight.

My interest in doing this was to replace my worn-out points
distributor with a newer electric one with better parts availability
& reliability than the gold-box solution.  Also, the Delco is
a good enough distributor that going to an aftermarket electronic
such as MSD, Jacobs, etc is less necessary.

The specimens:
     - 1974 Travelall with 392 & worn-out points distributor
     - mid 1980s Delco HEI all-in-one distributor with 4 plug
       module & vacuum advance

Required modifications:
     - Delco distributor had aluminimum shaft lathed to match
       IH engine requirement.  Took the fellow that I bought
       it from about a day or two.  Quality of his work looked
       good, the unit fit perfectly.  One difference is that
       the Delco is about 8" taller than the Holly original.
       This provides extra space to get to that clamp that attaches
       it to the engine, but makes it tight next to the thermostat.
       Also, this puts it at about the height of the air cleaner.
     - 392 cast-iron thermostat housing: sawed off (on bandsaw)
       unnecessary bolt hole that was in the way.  Took about
       2 minutes.
     - 392 cast-iron thing that connects the radiator hose to
       thermostat housing:  ground off flashing from cast, and
       used a file to make one of the two bolt holes somewhat
       oblong.  This allowed us to pull the component about
       a half-inch away from the new distributor.  Took about
       10 minutes.
     - Removed one of the two redundant vacuum advance things
       plugged into the water jacket.  Moved the heat sensor from
       next to the distributor to the now-vacated vacuum hole.

Misc:
     - Had to be fairly careful about keeping the timing the same
       & matching the cables up.  Wasn't too tough, just had to
       pay close attention.

Afterwards:
     - It's a little tough to compare evenly because:
          - Original distributor had a varying dwell
          - Original distributor had problems with water
          - Originally had a "Blue Streak" coil that provided
            better than original spark
          - Put on the cheapest wires imaginable (never knew you
            could buy wires for $12).  I'll be replacing these
            soon.
          - During the installation we had to time it by ear,
            and it may be a little advanced now.
     - Anyway, the idle rpms are way up, and there's a ton of
       power, lack of hestitation, etc.  I'll return the timing
       to TDC in order to compare its performance, then probably
       advance it 5 degrees.
     - I've still got a little misfire going that I thought was
       probably due to my distributor that has not gone away.
       Could even be a new cross-fire caused by my 32-gage wires.
     - None of the alterations were risky or complex, although
       it is great to have a machine shop with a bandsaw handy
       for sawing off that flange.

If you folks are interested, the fellow that did this is a well
-equiped machinist, IH guy, who knows the vehicles very well,
and seems pretty honest.  His name is Willie Green, lives
in Pueblo, CO; and can be reached at: 719-545-8031.  He charged
me $150 for parts & labor (but I think he tossed in the labor
as a freebie since I've bought stuff from him before).

Other items:

In terms of upgrading the Delco...

I have a current issue of 4x4 Power magazine that describes how to
install the MSD 6A(L?) on the same Delco HEI that I installed (the
4-prong module).  It looks like a five minute operation.  I am assuming
that there will be no problems caused to MSD by having HEI & IH combined.

If you've already got an electronic IH ignition, then going to a HEI
will probably just cause you extra money.  I did it because my points
distributor was trashed, and a points distributor doesn't sound like
a good basis for a "hot" ignition system anyway.  I will probably do
it again for my 1980 Scout just because of the better reliability,
performance gains with stock equipment, ability to improve it by upgrading
along a much more common path (GM vs IH), and elimination of a bit
o clutter.

Since June it has worked fine, with no hiccups.

Ken Farmer
74 Travelall   169k
80 Scout II    167k