Mallory distributor

Been lurking until now, but am in need of some advice from the list.
I can't seem to tune the engine properly with some of the previous
owners modifications. I have a '79 scout (345, 2bbl Holley not orig.,
4-speed, non-electronic distributor not orig). The distributor that was
in the Scout when I bought it last year had bad bushings and I replaced
it with a Mallory dual point, it already had the mechanical dist. The
preivious owner also removed all of the smog stuff from the orig Carter
carb. and installed a 10" air cleaner. A manual choke was also
installed. With all of these mods. I'm only guessing at what the
timing/idle/dwell should be and what the points should be gapped at, and
what air/fuel mixture should be. Currently running at 800rpm, timed @ 0
degrees TDC, and points are gapped at .022, total dwell 33 degrees ea.@
26 degrees. I got the dwell and gap info from supershops when I bought
the merch. After start-up the engine runs OK, but surges occasionally
and sometimes sputters on acceleration. Also it will need considerable
warm-up time to get to running smoothly @ 800 rpm. Strange since I live
in Tucson, AZ. Sorry about the long post. Thanks in advance for your
help, Steve