Battery Cables

Thank you all for the postings to the digest.  They have enlightened
me on many topics.

Now for something completely different.

I was having starter problems on my '79 Scout II.  When cranking, it
sounded like I had a low battery.  The crank would start slow,
increase the longer I cranked, and take 30 to 45 seconds to fire the
engine.  The battery would check out fine each time and the starter
is new.  I then pulled both battery cables and had new ones made.
The old cables were about the size of a number 2 pencil.  The new
cables are 1/0 gauge (single ought).  After installing the new
cables, the engines cranks "normally" and fires in usually two or
three turns.

For those who do not understand wire gauge, and that is not many
judging from other posts, I'll explain.  The flow of electricity is
measured in amps.  The more amps at a given voltage, the easier your
starter will turn.  Like water, the larger the pipe (in the case of
electricity, wire), the more that will flow through it.  Just as a 1"
hose carries more water than a 1/2", a 1/0 wire carries more current
than a 6 or 4.

BTW:  Clean, well bonded connectors are just as important.

Next time you are having starter problems and think it is your
battery, check those cables as well..

Todd Cottengim
1979 Scout II