2" Lift

Okay okay.. I'm getting impatient waiting to attack my '72 (and the guy
that's holding it hostage...)

So I started thinking back along the lines of what I want to do to my '77
later down the road (or maybe next week...)

I've been thinking of a buggy spring reverse shackle up front, with the
stock springs.  roughly 1.5" of lift.

The rear would then need balanced out.. 2" lift springs from someone, or..
just saw the Rancho "soft-ride" add-a-leafs for 1.5" of lift @ $85.. now I
know add-a-leafs are not *the* way to go... but the goal is to do this very
cheaply and do a decent job.. not do things *right* and do a *great* job
(and spend the bucks while I'm at it.. like the '72 will be)

Since the '77 has a 196, 3spd, and 4.09s, I don't plan on running anything
more than my 31s on it (and those only after I get 33s or 35s for the '72
later on, or while it's under construction).  So 1.5" or 2" of lift is just
about right.. bring the frame up for a little better clearance, allow a
little more room around those tires.. and make sure Julie can still get in
and out. (w/o carrying a ladder) :-)

Any thoughts?  I'll just have the "towers" welded to the front of the frame
on a Friday or something.. take it home, install the buggy-leaf and reverse
the shackle... call it a day.

Then install the add-a-leaf (or a "real" 2" lift) on the rear the next day..

Shocks will be marginal (and I think they're shot anyhow), but the rear
driveline will be fine.  Work'll need to be done on the front - longer slip
joint for the RS and buggy...

Hmmm.. :-)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout