Replies on Tranny Vibration

Hello Again,

Thanks to everyone who responded about my vibration problem.  It is
definitely a flywheel or clutch issue, as the problem occurs with the clutch
engaged or disengaged, standing still or moving, and varies only with the
RPM of the engine.  I don't know if the clutch is from a V8, or 4, or
anything else about it, I just know it vibrates like crazy!  I bought
everything from Jim Maulis (on Jim Weed's scout dealer list) and he said the
flywheel was from a V8.  He also said the clutch and flywheel were rebuilt.
The transmission shop said that the flywheel was NOT resurfaced, and that
they had to take it to NAPA to have it done, so I don't know who to believe.
Pointless to argue about it at this point... the shop also told me that I
had the wrong size flywheel, until Jim Maulis called them directly and told
them how to knock off the adapter which connects the crankshaft to the
flexplate!  I suppose that in retrospect I should have just gone down there
and picked up the truck when the shop called the first time asking me how to
open the hood, or maybe the second time when they asked me to bring them the
shop manual... does anybody know of a shop in upstate South Carolina which
actually knows something about Scouts?!?

It's entirely possible that since I have to ask this question, the answer
will be "DON'T TOUCH IT", but someone mentioned taking the flywheel cover
off... this can be done without pulling the transmission?  Is this the same
as the bellhousing?  What is the IHC model number for this transmission, the
manuals never refer to them by the same model numbers people on the list
do...

Thanks again for all the help everyone,

David
--