Re: Several Questions regarding tranny swap....

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 12:05:39 -0500 "David Nedved" <david@domain.elided>
writes:
> Hi All,
>
>Over the holidays my 727 died, and I bought a T-19A Wide, and paid a
local
>shop to swap them.  The good news is that the shop was VERY cheap, they
only
>charged me $350 to swap trannies, including rigging up the clutch pedal,
>lengthening the clutch pedal linkage for the body lift, etc. etc.
Anyway,
>you get what you pay for... now the truck (78 Scout II, 345) has a
terrible
>vibration at a little above idle speed, which smoothes out for awhile,
and
>then gets terrible when I try to exceed 53MPH (sorry, don't have a tach,
>don't know axle ratios...).  Anyway, the shop did have the flywheel
resurfaced prior to >installation, and when I asked what could be done,
he
>told me my options were to get another used flywheel, and pay him a
couple
>hundred in labor, and he would swap them, with no promise of getting any
>better (or worse).  He said my only other option was to have the
flywheel
>balanced to the crankshaft... maybe when I rebuild the engine, but not
now
>thanks...
>
>Anyway, the transmission shop owner said it was "normal" for an old
>truck with a manual transmission.  I personally find it very
frustrating,
>not to mention worrying about possible additional wear on the engine.
If I
>hadn't paid so little, I would be really pushing them to fix this, but
as it
>is I don't want them touching my truck again.  Can anyone comment on how

>smooth their manual transmission runs?  Any ideas for improving this?
>Granted anything to be done would require pulling the transmission, but
that
>alone sounds reasonable, if there was some way of getting a much
smoother
>running truck, and the ability to break 55MPH... the truck used to do 80

>easily withthe 727...

I would agree with Tom M's advise that this could well be a driveline
problem.  Try pushing in the clutch and coasting at the speed where the
vibration is bad.  If it's the flywheel, it should go away right away, if
it's the dirvelines, it'll continue until you slow down and get out of
the critical speed range.  If it's the drivelines, then you might pull
the front shaft and see if the problem continues, then the rear (after
replacing the front). The manual transmission should be no different than
you auto for vibration.
.
>Also, the transmission was sent to me with a new plate to mount the
>shifter boots to, however it seems to be from a different transmission
-- both
>the shifter hole and the xfer case hole are about 3 inches too far to
the
>rear of the truck.  The shop used a hacksaw to enlarge the holes for me
>(gee thanks...) so this one is ruined.  The one that my 727 used has the

>xfer case hole in the right place, and I have cut a hole for the
shifter,
>however the patched hole from the auto shifter looks terrible...
anyway, does
>anyone have the correct transmission plate for sale?

If no one offers you one, drop me another line and I can probably locate
one (any color preference?).

>Finally, what sort of lube should I run in the T19?  Are there drain
>and fill holes like the transfer case?  I looked briefly for them, but
>didn't see them.  Also, the reverse lights don't work, there are two
wires
>with plugs dangling in the transmission area, one is hooked up to the
>manual (but apparently does nothing) and the other is hanging loose.
Any ideas
>what these were / are?  Is this an applied ground, or applied positive
>switch?

Owner's Manual says either Mineral Gear Oil, SAE 90 or 140 or Engine Oil,
SAE 30 or 50.  Fill hole for the T/C is on the back (Dana 300) about 3/4
of the way to the top, square plug.  There should be two wires to the BU
light switch which is on the top left rear corner of the T-19 which is a
normally open switch completing the circuit when in reverse.   With the
auto, there was a third wire in the same connector that controlled a
relay that interrupted the start circuit.  You need different connectors
to connect to the T-19 switch.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]