Re: ihc-digest V5 #140

<< My question is this: do the gear ratios in the front axle have to match
 the gear ratios in the back exactly??  The guy said the rear had 4.11's
 and the front had 4.10's.  Is this close enough it won't matter, or is it
 going to have major problems down the road?  I always thought that they
 had to match exactly.  I realize that you shouldn't have it locked in on
 dry pavement, etc, but even in a slippy situation how much is it going to
 matter??  I guess this is a general question for all 4wd's, so it will
 help everyone.
 TIA.

Dan,
This pickup has the factory axle ratios in it.  The factory thought the front
should always be pulling just a little faster than the rear in order to track
correctly.  We now know better, but I have one of these in the Crew Cab Dually
version and it will pull through anything El Nino has to dish out.  They are
some of the most sought after trucks Ford has offered, so go ahead and enjoy.
Be afraid of strawberries with gray hair, but don't be afraid of the Fords.
Don
1976 Traveler 345/727/D20/3.54 D44s in both ends and posi rear.