Rebuilding an Alternator

If the alternator was still working, all you need to do is pack the
bearings (clean out the old grease first) and put in a new set of brushes.

Disassemble the alternator and remove the front bearing retainer.  An
impact wrench is nice for getting the pulley nut off.  As I remember there
are a couple of screws holding it in.  To take the plastic shields off the
bearings, take a sharp flat blade (carpenter utility knife) and insert the
tip under the edge of the shield and pop it up.  Clean out the old grease
with brake cleaner or equivalent and let dry.  Don't spin the bearing with
compressed air while it doesn't have any grease.  I use a wheel bearing for
disc brakes, has a high melting temperature.  The shields pop right in, but
make sure it is seated all the way around.

When you put the brushes in, there is a small hole that you put a nail in
to hold the brushes in the holder while you assemble the alternator.  After
you have the case together, pull the nail out.

If you do this every 70-100K, the alternator will last a lifetime unless
you overload it.  Had one on my 510 Datsun for over 400K before I put in a
larger alternator.