Converting PrestoLite distributor to MOPAR

OK. I got 2 requests for more info so I'm posting this to the digest
again. I've also submitted this info to the FAQ, however it wasn't
posted. If there is enough intrest here maybe it should be.

Note: This will change the system to use an external box and resistor.

I used a Dodge Electronic box, mounted on the fire-wall, balast
resistor, mounted below the box, coil, magnetic pickup and wiring
harness scavenged from a 74 Wagon (Any V8 should work). If you get the
whole harness wiring should be easy. The bracket to mount the pickup to
the base plate in the distrubutor is just a piece of 1/8" flat bar
drilled and taped in the right places. I left the stock star wheel in
place on the distributor shaft.

If you need more help let me know. Also use Di-electric grease on all
connections and plug wires. The main advantage I see to the above
choices is cost, parts availability (can be found instock in the
boonies) and ease of trouble shooting.

I've been using this system in my 345 scout since 86 with the only
problems ever encountered was moisture under the 5 prong plug to the
module. The Di-Electric grease fixed this perminantly. I got a tube of
this grease from NAPA for around $6.00.

If there is interest in adding this to the faq I'll offer to take apart
my distributor and trace the pickup adapter mount I made and scan it.

--
Tom Reed	treed@domain.elided
The Data Center - Database Software Development