Tire sizes

Well, I'm definitely not a tire expert.

I'll admit that in my rush to obsolete the old bias ply tire sizes I
painted with a bit too broad a brush. The whole subject's kinda confusing
for most folks, so I was eager to simplify(i.e. no discussion of metric
sizing, aspect ratio, etc) and left out the radials that are available in
*x* sizes. The average tire buyer these days isn't gonna see 'em unless
they go snooping around commercial vehicles or have a dually pickup. I
checked out some 7.50xR17's when I was thinking about buying an A-120 4x4
Travelall.

So, in my defense, I 'meant' that the designations were obsolete for bias
ply tires, but didn't bother to say that something very similar(add the R
before the wheel diameter)was available in radials. While we're at it, it
appears that bias ply's may be alive and well if you live in farm
country(I've seen reference to F&F before as a source). They have been out
of circulation in CA for awhile now(collector and off road tires excepted).

I'm not sure about the recap situation. I suspect that recaps work best
where the tire is designed with a big, buttressed tread platform that
resists tread/casing squirm. A 'caps biggest enemy has to be heat from the
tread moving around on the casing trying to rip the vulcanize apart.
Recapping seems to have a pretty good track record for over the road
trucks, and their tires are designed that way.

If you're wanting to swap around wheel sizes, it probably bears repeating
that the wheel sizes that end in '.5'(i.e.16.5, 17.5) do not have the
'safety bead' that is more likely to retain the bead on it's seat during a
deflation.

Jim