RE: Lift kit report

Joe,

     Congrats on the lift!  About two years ago, I installed a 4" lift that i
got from Super Scout on my '79 Terra.  It went in pretty easily as did yours.
When the first snow hit and I was driving down back roads in 4H, I noticed a
slow grinding sound.  It sounded as if it could have been an exhaust pipe
vibrating against something, but I checked everything underneath and it was a-
ok.  This "grinding" would stop when shifted out of 4WD.  Since I had just
changed both U-joints on the front driveshaft , I was clueless.
     A few weeks later, I was cruising down the interstate and noticed a
*very* similar grinding noise (almost more of a vibration than noise, but
still audible) between the speeds of 58 and 70 (or whatever speed that
actually equates to with 31" tires).  So I changed the U-joints in the rear
driveshaft which had no effect.  I pondered on this more and thought it could
possible be some odd case of predetination (since this 2WD only
vibration/noise was much quiter than the  4WD vibration -- maybe the two
noises are not related).  So I changed plugs, checked timing (even advanced it
a little), put in high-test gas and tried her out.  Still makin' that darn
noise!!!

     Baffled, I called Terry Hankins from Navistar (he was w/ the IH racing
devision) and he said this "grinding" in 4WD was normal and is harmless and
caused by the driveshaft angle.  If this is the case, I should be able to add
shims on the front to compensate...but shouldn't my kit have told me that?

     If you (or anyone else) are experiencing any similar problems let me know
what you've tried.  Also, does anyone know how big of tires I can fit under my
truck (Terra w/ 4" suspension lift)?

Thanks!!
Tom
Wellington/Columbus, OH