Re: Prestolite module

Howard,
 I apprecite the response, but I think I need to be more specific.
 This all started a while back with burning up cheap coils. Scout
M.A.D.ness suggested that the module could be burning out the coils and
to use a Standard brand coil instead of the cheapo Checker store coils.
I replaced the module (Standard brand) along with the cap and rotor and
plugs. I still burned out one more cheap coil. then I replaced it with
the Standard brand coil ($25. vs. $10. cheapo). At that point everything
was fine until it rained. It rained one day and would not start. The
next day it fired right up and ran great until the next time it rained.
There appeared to be no moisture in the cap, I put the original module
back in and its been running fine up to a few weeks ago. I now have an
intermitent total loss of power and serious missfire. then it runs fine
then it misses again. It might run well for a week or maybe only for a
mile. I have since replaced  spark plugs, cap, rotor, plug wires, coil,
fuel pump, fuel lines fuel filters and carb. Everything exept the
module. It ran alot better for a couple days then the same thing all
over again. That leads me to beleive that the factory module is in need
of replacment after 20+ years. I swapped the "new" Standard module under
warrany. These Standard modules only have a thin clear coat over them
instead of the thick plastc coating the original had. I would like to
further waterproof it before I install it. Then again maybe I just got a
bad module the first time.

Thanks and
Happy Scoutn,
Bryan