Re: Density of snow

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Tom Mandera wrote:

> A submarine purposely gains weight, which allows it to sink.. it
> weighs MROE than the water it displaces (and, at some point, they
> usually set things up so the sub weighs EXACTLY as much as the water
> displaced)

So what you're saying is, when the snow's REALLY DEEP, you want to make
tunnels through it with your Scout, and control the depth of the tunnel
by adding or removing weights? :)

As I see it, you have 4 choices, in descending order of the technology
required:

1. An onboard real-time data collection and automatic tire inflation
system that will keep your tires inflated to the exact pressure required
to stay on top of the snow.

2. Get those 3ft-wide low pressure tires they use on agricultural spray
trucks etc.

3. Buy a Sno-Cat.

4. Buy snow shoes.

If you ever get this figured out, maybe you could make a few extra bucks
in the winter pulling skiers. :)

Daniel Youngquist | INTERNET MEMORY EXCHANGE |     HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS
tel: 541-688-9263 | Memory & Memory Adapters | Grain Mills, Water Filters
fax: 541-688-9775 |  www.teleport.com/~dany  | www.teleport.com/~dany/mill
dany@domain.elided | * VISA * MasterCard * Great Prices * NO SALES TAX! *
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is
the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt, 1783