'65 80 is a deal!

Michael (Joseph?),

><snip>
>He is asking $1400/obo it started right up, and
>held it's idle,

Sounds like a smokin' deal.  My bud's got a '64 Rolled, and on a new body now,
345, 2bbl, doesn't idle for beans, goofed up everything, wacked suspension,
guages, engine, etc.
He's asking $1400.

I'd jump on this one!

><snip>
>He said it was geared very low-4.27?  Is that
>right?  I'm guessing that it probably will not be great on the highway,
>but it's my favorite year, and it seems to me like a very good deal.
><snip>

Gearing is possible depending on axle type, if it's stock, then yes.

>  Does this sound like a great deal to anyone else?
><snip>

YES! IT"S A FANTASTIC DEAL!

> I think it's pretty killer.

KILLER!

><snip>
>not radials, but would they have lasted 55,000?

Tires can last that long if it's driven gently.  I rag mine pretty hard and I
get about 40K on a set of four.  'Course I would replace these all and the spare
before I drove your '65 home! ;)

><snip>
>  What is entailed in getting a salvage
>title, or bringing a salvage title up to running?  Also, if I were to
>re-gear it for better highway use, would that be difficult?  I know I'd
>have to do both front and rear axles, but it can be done, right?

What makes you think you'll have to get a salvage title?  Salvage is really only
for when a car gets totaled out by an insurance company, but someone wants to
buy the car from the ins. co., and rebuild the bad stuff.  To total out a scout
is very easy since it is hard to get repair for anything in it.  If you wreck a
scout, the body parts alone may be more than it's worth, QED: totaled.  Has this
one been wrecked?  Didn't sound like it.

To re-register the truck in Cali., you should only have to take it for a
physical inspection, make sure the turn signals, tailights, horn (audible to
300ft), brake lights, and headlight(both beams) all work, and they'll check the
VIN.  The emissions will be waived, and you should be ready to go in no time.
They may however, make you pay the penalties for the registration being expired,
but fight that tooth and nail!  It wasn't your responsibility if you can show
them a NOTARIZED BILL OF SALE.  Then you can prove that you just bought it, and
weren't letting it sit till you could afford it or something.  If you have the
old plate, they can look through the old records (microfiche, may take a day or
two), by the tab no. (the little numbers on the sticker), or the plate no. or
both.  If no record is found, then it looks like you're all set.  They'll also
charge you like a buck or two to run a NCIC check to make sure it's not stolen.

>He's supposed to call me at 3:00 Pacific time to let me know if the
>other guy came through.  I told him I'd go $1000.00, and if the other
>guy was trying to jack him around to call me and I'd try to scrape up
>some more.  It would put me in a big bind financially right now, but I
>could do it.  What I am looking for is someone to talk me out of it if
>they think it's not a good deal.
>Thanks!
>Michael

Good luck, Hope to see it in Tulare, in April.

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.