Re: Locking Hubs (Dualmatic)

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Howard R Pletcher wrote:

> other brands and ended up making the Dualmatic the baseline manual hub
> with the Warns still available as options.  My feeling is that most
>
> problems, but wanted my Lockomatics back.  The big knob of the Dualmatic
> certainly makes turning them less of a problem.

First off, good luck finding any parts for the Dualmatics!  I had to make
my own gaskets, and the poor (usually very knowledgable) guys at NAPA
couldn't find any reference.. one old timer in town started laughing and
cackling when I called.. he knew what they were, but hadn't had any in
about 15 years or so..

Are these the same as the Selectro hubs used on Jeeps?

I'll also second the large 1/4 turn knob is very easy to turn, though
it's "backwards" (counter-clockwise to LOCK), and I still have the stock
hub-caps on my '77 (w/ the Dualmatics), and the hub caps get in the way
when trying to lock/unlock..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 Scout II w/ IH/Warns
'77 Scout II w/ IH/Dualmatic
'76 Scout II Dana 44 (for '72) with IH/Warn AUTOMATICs