electrical system

My 71 Scout is acting very weird. I put a new alternator in it (well a
used one thatr worked) and now when it is idleing it puts out just about
15 volts acording to my in car volt meter. When I start to turn on
assesories the voltage drops with each item (lights, fan, wipers) until
it gets down to 9-10 volts. I added a shunt wire to the battery directly
to the altternator. I really should take my Fluke out to the battery and
get true readings but I haven't gotten around to it. Does any body have
any idea what is happenning? It seems like all the assesories are wired
in series. Being an electrician makes me not want to think about
electricity at home so any iedeas would be appreciated.

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided
1979 International Scout EXR                              (Extreme Rust)
1971 International Scout MD
                              (Many Dents)