The Extra Solenoid and fuel filters

Anyone who cares,
This is the post I sent with too much still attached and then apologized
for. I think Richard or his equipment took care of the problem because it
never appeared in any digest that I got.
John
>Does anybody see a problem removing the inline fuel filter on a Scout II
>and putting it inline with the hose between the frame and engine?  Is
>there any need to have a fuel filter after the fuel pump?  Does it
>matter if the fuel is sucked through the filter verses pushed through?
>
>Anyone?
>
>Epp
Epp,
I have both on mine. Filter just after the tank and before the electric
pump, and one between the frame and the engine. Never have had to change
the one in the engine compartment. My guess would be that with a mechanical
pump, the dual filters would work as well. Anyone else????
John

>with a bent antenna, your "ripples" are now in an arch, with the extreme
>ends of the antenna radiating "properly" parallel to the ground, while the
>center of the arch radiates all of it's energy in a plane that is
>perpendicular to the earth.. of, think of the ends as two plates lying flat,
>while the center of the antenna has the plate on it's side.

It's not how it works, it's how masculine it looks. My K40 sticking out of
the top of my Grand Cherokee looks sissy. Are you willing to look like a
sissy with that very masculine Scout you have. And what will "she" think?
Thanks for the explanation of how an arched antenna sends out its signal.
It made sense even. But, I still go for looks!
John

>Date: Tue, 13 Jan 98 14:35:30 EST
>From: jeff tarquinio <tarquinio_jeff@domain.elided>
>Subject: Remote starter solenoid
>
>>I would like to go with the remote starter selenoid as you mention in
>>your harness notes.  Do I keep the existing motor-mounted bendix-
>>integrated selenoid?  Do I disable the electrical contactors inside
>>the plastic bendix endcap?  How do I ensure the bendix is engaged
>>before the starter motor spins?  All comments invited!
>
>Mark,
>	I'm a little confused with your question, but you have to keep the
>bendix drive on the starter since that is what actually engages the
>starter.  The new solenoid simply sends full battery power to the starter
>via the "thick" (2 ga. I think) cable.  I'm not sure how to explain this
>and maybe someone else can help, but with my '77, sometimes the starter
>wouldn't work with the key so I'd throw her in neutral, engage the E-brake,
>turn the ignition on, get out, reach under the wheel well, and short the
>main cable to the solenoid with my leatherman.  What I'm trying to say is,
>both posts need power.  One to turn the motor and one to engage it.  There
>is more info on this mod in the FAQ, www.binderbulletin.com/faq.  The
>solenoid is the "switch" which makes the connection between the battery
>juice and the starter.
>	Hope this helps.  John H. might have a more insightful view or at
>least be able to put it into better terms.
>Tark '77 Terra 345/T19/D20

Well Mark, I'm not sure how insightful this is but I appreciate Tark
thinking I might be,
I have a Ford type starting solenoid mounted on the firewall of  my Scout
and let me tell you what it does and how it may benefit you. First of all,
with the way I'm using mine, it has nothing to do with starting.  Jim G.
talked about how it could and also mentioned the FAQ on binder bulletin
which has an article about using a Ford type solenoid to replace part of
the action of the Delco that is mounted on your starter. As to the way I
use mine, in our vehicles, we need quite a number of  "things" activated
only when the ignition is on in the run position. Many folks keep running
the power supplies for these "things" back to some overworked lead that
they find that has power only when the key is on.  A relay, which is what
our solenoid is in this case, is designed to use a weak current to close a
heavy duty switch which then connects a heavy duty lead from the battery
which goes to one big post on the solenoid, to all the other leads that
need a source of current when the key is on and those leads are connected
to the other big post.  A lead from the ignition switch goes to one of the
small posts and the other small post  on most solenoids is not needed and
in some other cases goes to ground.  OK, you turn on the key and a very
small amount of current goes into the solenoid, closes the "switch" and
thereby connects the heavy lead from the battery to all the "things" that
need current when the key is on, thereby not drawing any large amount of
current through an ignition switch which is probably already stressed. In
an installation like mine, the solenoid on the starter gets its current
from the big lead that comes straight from the battery so it doesn't need
to use the firewall mounted relay (solenoid). I haven't thought about it
enough yet, but if I was doing the partial replacement of the Delco, I
think I would use two Ford solenoids, and I'd look for , but probably not
find one of the type that was on the old Fords that had a button on the
bottom that manually activated the solenoid, and use it for the assistant
to the Delco.
John
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 14:04:08 -0600
>From: Jeffrey.Deaver@domain.elided
>Subject: Fish Carb?

Jeffrey and other Fish eaters, mostly old Catholics,
I know hardly anything about the Fish carb, but my old neighbor who claimed
to have been a co-inventor and claimed to still be watched by secret agents
after 60 years had an intake manifold off an old Buick straight 8, with the
carb still attached.  He said that the modifications they had made to that
carb and/or manifold broke the gasoline into smaller droplets so that it
was more easily vaporized. He claimed that no large droplets ever got
through the carb and therefore what did get through was completely burned
because it made for such an ideal mixture. I don't know what the
modifications were, if indeed there were any, however, gadgets to break up
the gasoline droplets are still much in evidence wherever gas saving
devices are being promoted, i.e. your county fair.  Neither Fish nor my
neighbor, Carter, ever got anyone to market their carbs and in Fish's case,
it was widely "known" that the car companies had strangled him out of being
able to market his carb. Doesn't make sense? Of course not, but note the
new line in my signature. It applies.
John