Valveseats and Compressor oil

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Jan 1996 19:04 -0800
From: renarac@domain.elided
Subject: RE: boat style rocker arms
        Owen,

        Forgive me for mentioning this, but I thought that the IHs had
hardened seats already from '74 and up?

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.

-----INCLUDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS-----

<snip>

'79 and later would have hardened valve seats in Scouts....
that would be a plus for new heads.

Owen Minor
Tacoma,WA

==========================
 <snip>

------------------------------

Dan

        The GM type compressors (R4, pancake type and the log type) have teflon
parts that need lubrication flowing in the refrigerant for top end lubrication.

        The other major problem is that if the filter/drier fails, and lets tiny
chips through, they will score the internals.  The york/tecumseh type
compressors are 2 cylinder parallel twins.  I seem to remember the presence of
actual piston rings on the pistons so the potential for chips to gall the piston
or cyl wall is minimized.  These twins are lubricated by a crankcase that has
oil in it.  The little bolt head (1/2" or 9/16") on the side/bottom of the
compressor is the drain plug.  It really depends on how you mount it, but it has
a sump that has oil.  The air line can run dry forever as long as the sump is
OK.

        I've got two spares at home, I'll look 'em over again tonight.

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.

-----INCLUDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS-----
------------------------------

I think Mark asked this a while back and I haven't seen any answers to it.
I was wondering about it myself, too.  Don't the A/C compressors have to
have some kind of lubricant from the freon??  One of my uncles says it
doesn't, he's a mechanic and has apparently done this conversion to an air
compressor.  One of my other uncles, however, said that they do require
lubrication from the freon.  He used to be a mechanic, but got out of it
about 10 years ago.  Who is right??  <snip>

Thank you in advance.

Dan Felix
1966 Scout 800
1965 Scout 80