Subject: CB Antennas

I'm using the new GroupWise 5.1 for my email and noticed that my previous post ended up as one long line when I viewed it using MS Internet Explorer 4.0.  Not at all fun to read.  So--this is a re-post.  If this also shows up as one long line, can someone help me on this.  Anyone work for Novell??

FWIW - here's how I did my CB antenna:  I got the small swivel ball mount from Radio Shack.  This fits on top of a round plastic plate that attaches with 3 #10 bolts.  I mounted this on the left fender about even with the radio antenna on the right fender.  First, remove the sheetmetal access plate to the wipers.  Note how much flat area there is under the top of the fender.  Fabricate a backing plate of heavy metal by using the plastic plate to trace the holes, drill,  then bolt this under the fender.  The fender might be strong enough to support this without the backing plate, but I wouldn't chance it.  Get everything lined up before drilling the holes in the fender (I know this is painful to do in that brand new rust free fender.)  Align the ball so the antenna stands vertical, and screw in a good 3 or 4 ft antenna. Notes:  Seal the plates and hole with RTV and don't cut the antenna lead cable--just loop it (and tie it neatly) under the wiper access plate.  Drill a hole for the antenna lead somewhere above the vent.  I put my CB about center of shift console (727 auto), under AC vent.  I hooked a piece of wire to the rear of the CB and then hooked this up behind the AC vent.  Then  I used 2 short pieces of rubber bungee which hook to the CB bracket screws and stretch up to eye hooks bolted to bottom of dash.  This holds the CB nice and snug.  I also plugged the CB into the old radio speaker in the dash.  Good luck with your install.
Dale Bradshaw
Ogden, Utah