Re: 8" wheels

>You didn't mention whether or not your vehicle is lifted. There are some
>limitations on tire size if you have no lift. The 31X10.50's should not
>need any lift, but they need to go on 8" rims or bigger. I thought at one
>time that all Scout II's had at least 8" rims, but apparently this is not
>true. Is it true, guys??????

John,

I think the stock Scout II wheels are only 7" wide..  Per Howard Pletecher's
old article (which I recently HTML-ized but haven't added to the official
FAQ yet, and can be found at:
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/faq/IDscout.html  )

Lists 1974 as having an optional 7" chrome wheel.. I think the pre '74
wheels were 6.5" wide.. I can measure.. I have a set of the original wheels
(for drums) on my '72.. and a set of stock '77 wheels on my '77 (with
discs).. no fancy chrome ones though.

I've also heard folks using a 7" rim with 10.50" tires.. better air-down
properties they claim, though no TIRE manufacturer recommends it..

I've also heard folks running 12.5 or 11.5 on an 8" rim.. 10" is the
recommended, and I think 9" would be OK for a 12.5" tire..

YMMV

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs