Re: Lift and V8 266

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Mark A Pepe wrote:

> Thanks again for info on lifting. I've been looking back through my old
> Fourwheeler magazines for an article I remember discussing lifting a scout
> in addition to other unworthy vehicles. I have gotten some other info on
> the suject though which leads me to another question,

They didn't really say much.. I think it was 4xPower or something that
had a quick article on lifting Scout IIs in the last year.. basically
came down to "buy some springs" or such.. ;)

> 	What about shackles? I know Confer makes some heavy duties as well
> as others. I'm considering getting rid of that "stabilizer" (the piece of
> spring steel that goes between the two front shackles) and going with a
> shock type in the interest of a little more articulation.  Comments?

The metal brace on the shackles is not a "stabilizer" but an anti-sway
bar.. YES, you can gain a little bit of articulation by removing it, but
not much if any.  When I was playing on the Ramp at the NWBinder Roundup,
I asked if I should unbolt my anti-sway bar.. consensus was that I
*could*, but I'd only gain a point or two.. if that.  I decided it wasn't
worth yanking my socket set out from under the seat..

Stabilizers are different, attached between the steering linkage and the
axle tube, to minimize bump steer and such.  The goal is to NOT break
your arms when your front tires hit a large rock while driving or
wheeling.. the stabilizer slows things down a bit.

-Tom