Re[2]: Governors on 345/392 engines...

        John,

                The vehicles are my T'all (392) and my Scout (345).
     Somebody once said that the redlines of 3600 and 3900 repsectively,
     are 'governor limited'.  I've never heard of or seen this governor
     unit, just that everyone talks about it.  My guess is that the valve
     timing just won't cut it beyond the number spec'c, and that, you're
     right, the ignition has internal limiting factors.  On the subject of
     motorcycles, Of my 8, I'm not sure if the CR450 has a higher redline
     than the XS400II, but the 400's line is at 12, and it too fires the on
     and off cycle.  I don't claim to know how, but I'm glad that it keeps
     on working.  The dirt bike is a single, and I can just imagine the G's
     of a single slug (about 4" wide and 4" tall, much like a V8 piston)
     turning out 12K.

        Has anyone out there really ever gone to get lightened rods,
     lighter pistons, hollowed skirts, extra heavy duty valve springs,
     stainless valves, roller rockers, etc. etc.  for their IHC?  I imagine
     it'd be bucks, and when you're done it's still not a punchable as a
     built 350 or 454 capable of 10K.

        -Thanks one and all,

       Joel

     '76 Scout II 345/tf727