Re: Another Transmission/transfer case Question

"Bill Mounteer" <bill@domain.elided> scribbled in the sand:

>As a side note, I used to have a '70 IHC short wheelbase, short box
>half ton 4x4 and one time I went down a hill and found on the return
>trip that I couldn't get backup. So I got my chainsaw out and cut a
>bunch of wind fall trees into 8' logs and filled the box to the
>top of the cab. With the added weight the hill was a piece of cake
>until the stupid xfer case jumped out of gear. I ended up going
>backwards - let me tell you it was a heck of a ride<g>. After that I
>made sure I had the shift lever in hand when climbing.

Bill,

Sounds like a great application for one of Tom Mandera's 2 x 4's he uses to
keep a fast idle on his rig!  Cut one to the correct length and jam it between
the transfer case shift lever and seat.  <grin>

BTW, my Traveler also has jumped out of 4L a few times... and it was also when
under a heavy strain (when you need it most).  I too simply rest a hand on it
when I really want to make sure it doesn't decide to go south.

Regards,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |