Gear Ratios

Here's one for all the math majors out there.

I finally got around to checking out my speedometer the other day and I
found out that when it reads 50 I'm actually going 44 mph.

This is not what I expected. I figured that since I'm running 32" tires
that the speedometer would be reading low. On the other hand, if the gears
were changed, this would account for the unexpected results.

Am I on the right track?

Scott
smachalk@domain.elided
1979 Scout II 345 727 (moving slower than I thought)