Re: transmission slipping

John L. wrote:
>No... not bad to some *reasonable* point Dan the Man!
>But just like engine oil, I would think transmission fluid that's
>really cold doesn't flow as well and has greater drag on the
>transmission components.  On a cold morning, absent the warming >effect
from the heated engine coolant in the main radiator, reason
>would dictate the transmission fluid would probably take much longer
>to warm up to normal operating temperature.
>On a hot day pulling a trailer uphill, the external cooler in front >of
the radiator *would* be better... no doubt.

Ahha!, a good reason not to use the thermostatically controlled valve
for the PermaCool external cooler. The aftermarket cooler I got (like a
B&M style) says to install it inline after the radiator cooler/(warmer).
So then it seems we need a system that would allow flow to the radiator
when the radiator is warmer than the tranny, but the tranny is below
operating temp., then turns off the flow when the tranny reaches
operating temp. (but not above), and then flow through the external
cooler when the tranny temp is above operating. Of course, I want a
small fan atttached to the external cooler to kick on when it being
used. But, if we use the external inline with the readiator then we have
the dilema of either heating up the engine coolant, if the radiator is
first or reheating the trans fluid after it has been cooled by the
external cooler.

Rob Kasper