Re: Installing Speakers

>I am thinking about installing 6" speakers in the rear side panels ( by the
>armrests in the back seat) on my 1976 Scout.  Has anyone done this?  I can't
>seem to find any other suitable location.  Any input would be appreciated.

I've seen 6x9s in particular done this way.. they *work*, but the set I saw
installed were not done very well, and the guy got a LOT of resonance from
the whole body panels.. the whole thing would vibrate at certain frequencies
and sound like crap.

A number of speaker solutions have crossed my mind and I've hashed it over
with others..

You can cut the panels like you suggest, just be sure to use some type of
backing (Crutchfield water proof baffles!) behind the speakers, and see what
you can do to keep the vibrations down (Dynamat the whole tub?).

Good solutions I've come across:

4" mid ranges in the kick panels, between the stock vents and the door opening.
Tweeters in the corners of the windshield frame (surface mount)

6.5" in the doors, though not for me.. overall too low, and I want to remove
my doors eventually for SSII inserts n' soft doors

8" subs fit just nicely under the seat bases.

Some folks remove (or place behind) the rear seat in favor of a wide
speaker/truck box.

My solution for the back is a set of 6x9s in rectangular boxes (not wedges)
that fit nicely between my roll bar upright and the rear seat arm rests, in
the same area you're considering, but no cutting.

I also have a set of 6.5" 3ways in wedge boxes that will be mounted just
behind the rear seat.  I'm thinking of some type.of bracket welded to the
bed wall, just below the hard top gasket, just behind the rear seat, to moun
the boxes to.  Keep it above the rear seat for max. tuneage, below the
hardtop (so they stick around when I take the top off), yet up and out of
the way of the rear cargo area, and still have room for important stuff..
like chains, recovery straps, spare parts, tools, etc.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs

Maybe I'll finally write my speaker FAQ tonight or so...