Re: Throttle lock

On Mon, 05 Jan 1998 13:14:05 -0500, tsm1@domain.elided (Tom Mandera) wrote:

>>What is a throttle lock ? I've never heard of it.
>
>Assuming it's the same as a Hand-throttle and similar devices..

I think I bought mine at NAPA and recall it was in the $10.00 price range.
In operation and appearance it's much like a manual choke... you pull it
out to increase your engine rpm and you push in (or release) to decrease.
Usually a throttle-lock (hand throttle) has a "T" shaped handle to afford a
better grip when pulling.  Depending on how strong the throttle return
spring(s) are, it takes quite a bit of force to pull it out.  It's a lot
easier to apply the throttle with the accelerator pedal, then pull out the
throttle-lock to hold the rpm.

Once the desired engine rpm is achieved, usually the throttle-lock handle
is turned which "locks" it into place and prevents it from retracting and
closing the throttle.  Some more elaborate and expensive throttle-locks
feature a vernier type adjustment in addition to the locking mechanism.
Once locked, you can gradually adjust the engine rpm up or down.  For an
example of the vernier adjustable type, see the McMaster Carr web site at
www.mcmaster.com and look at part number 6059K4.  These types are a bit
large and expensive for automotive use.  An example of the smaller style
NAPA sells is McMaster Carr part number 6161K11.

>Ever jam a knife, brick, or 2x4 down on your gas pedal to keep the motor
>revving for some reason?

Hmmmm... can't say that I have.  I guess I don't have as much danger and
fun in my life as Tom does!  First it's looking down the barrel of a spud
cannon and now it's a 2x4 on th accelerator pedal... I've got a lot of
catching up to do.

Happy trails,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |